Port Canal Shopping Centre is located approximately 12km northwest of the CBD within the heart of one of Adelaide's oldest, historical ports, Port Adelaide. It is a unique shopping centre positioned to meet the everyday needs of its community in an area rich in history, culture and opportunity. The Centre is located on Commercial Road, offering over 1,000 car spaces for shoppers and is a 5 minute walk from the Port River. It is surrounded by historic landmarks and buildings and with a solid industrial and residential base, the Centre provides everyday services to a growing population of over 60,800 and over 8,000 businesses.
Proposed residential developments in the Port Adelaide area will ensure continued growth and revitalisation over the coming years. Part of the Government’s grand plan is to commission 1300 homes as well as shops, café’s, hotels and a public promenade, across 21ha on the surrounds of the Port River. It will represents $280 million worth of private investment, as well as 350 construction jobs and 2,000 ongoing jobs in Port Adelaide. Part of the plan includes:
- Starfish Developments; a $168 million residential project due to commence April 2018 of Port Adelaide’s Dock 1 Development, which will feature 750 homes with townhouses and apartments.
- Cedar Woods Developments generating another 500 homes at North West and Fletcher’s Slip.
- York Civil plans to transform Cruickshank’s Corner into a tourism destination.
- The allocation of $16.4 million for a new rail line into the heart of Port Adelaide with a train station to be built in Baker Street,
- The completion of the $38m State Government office tower at the corner of Nile and Robe Streets due to be completed early 2018 being base to 500 State Government employees.
- Two major projects due to commence at the Osborne shipyard; $35 billion future frigates build and the $50 billion Future Submarines project generating 3,000 new jobs on site by 2021.
Major Tenants Rite Price, Coles, Kmart,
Traffic MAT35,000* per week
The primary catchment area includes Port Adelaide, Gillman, Queenstown, Rosewater, Alberton, Ottoway, Semaphore Park and continues to reach a secondary catchment which spans a radius of approximately 8 km including Weslakes, Woodville, Mansfield Park and along the Lefevre Peninsula to Outer Harbour.
The current total population within the catchment area is over 60,800, and it projected to grow to 70,260 by 2031.
The total retail spending market in the Port Canal trade area was estimated at $960m for the year ending June 2017. The total retail spending market for the trade area is forecast to increase to $1,052m by 2021. This equates to total growth of $115m (or +12.2%).
- Average age of residents: 35-64 years
- Average household size: 2.3
- Occupation: predominantly white collar workers (65%) and blue collar workers (35%)
- Household/Landlord type: in line with State averages for SA, fully owned (32%), part owned/mortgaged (34%), renting (32%)
The information contained here was obtained from the following sources:
- ABS Census of Population and Housing 2016;
- ABS Regional Population Growth Australia 2016;
- ABS Population Projections Australia 2011-2031;
- Government of South Australia 2016 'Projected Population, 2011-2031";
- Urbis Market Assessment 2013